Friday, July 22, 2016

twenty seven. Irene.

"Now that is a good question!" I thought as I shifted on the tall steel stool underneath me.  I found myself this rainy Thursday night surrounded by reflections in this glass room. Placed at the head of a bright-eyed and colorfully skinned crowd, with two fierce and humble women by my side, this panel event was focused on the topic of what being women in social business means for us as individuals and in turn for the world. The series is labeled, "Humans of Change".

The question: How might we (and can we) begin to think about what social business means in terms of implementing it on a much larger scale of policy-especially in countries that deal with traditional, cultural, and religious values that seemingly work against what innovation is and stands for?

Whew. 
So proud that young woman is in my world. I thought.

Time and time again I am reminded of the facade of teachers/experts as the all powerful and knowing vs. students/learners who have little to contribute. This young woman should have been up there beside us talking about what all this means. I gently leaned over for the mic, but not to answer the question; rather to ask another one. For me, it is true that valuable answers come mostly from people who live in those cultures and have those experiences.
"My feeling is since you asked such a significant and thoughtful question, you have your own ideas about this...can you share some with us?"

With brave eloquence her answer pulled my perspective and inspired new thinking for days. Needless to say, I was thrilled at the invitation we insisted upon for coffee the following week.



As I walked into the tiny modern coffee shop at the end of my Soi, there Irene sat with that same brave eloquence in her straight dark blue jean dress. This was especially refreshing to me today becuase today was the day that the last several months hit me in my gut all at once. The weeks before presented some incredible opportunities to explore who I was and where I was in this rollercoaster of life alongside important strangers. During those weeks I become aware of some aspects of my life that were not allowing me to be free or happy in all that I am. I was frustrated and feeling a ton of fear as I started to think head on about what the actions of changing things were going to look like. Particularly spiritually this day I felt off and the idea of sleeping or crying seemed like the best option. I thought about canceling for coffee to allow myself the space to be sad, but was called to go be with others who lift me up rather then walk in all this alone. I also noticed that I was feeling like I wouldn't have much too offer her, but that rang as an assumption of terrible self-pity, so got my ass out the door.

I was right, being near her automatically was lifting.

As many younger warriors do, Irene had questions for me (lots of them) and we followed her curiosities and bounced from story to story. She shared with me some of her own narrative, learnings from the past years of travel and dreams that seem to be taking shape in endless ways.

I wrote on post-it notes some sentences or one liners that nudge me to stay on the path I want to walk in this life and handed them to her. Woman to woman. She even wrote down some things I said which reminded me that my presence or connection may be important, even on days when my spirit is swallowed by my mind.

Irene asked me tough questions that I didn't want to answer on that particular day. I did anyway and there she was with support and openness. We thought through what some things may mean in life and discussed some strings of the ever changing complexity of relationships and our relationship with larger themes like work and service to others.
Every sentence that streamed from her mouth was powerful and clear. 
Every sentence she said, reminded me of the woman I strive to be daily.
As effortless as Irene makes this look, I knew that in fact being the person she is takes a ton of internal work. Self-reflection, honestly, humility and there she was practicing all of those so much they have become her habits, her way of being.
I was inspired and reminded to continue the practice.

I write this blog as a reminder to my future self or to you that even if you find yourself on a panel where your community has asked you to come as a Human of Change or you are a wise teacher placed with the great responsibility to start dialog and guide information to your students-remember that everyone around you is teaching you too.

Once in a while I stumble upon an "Irene" (although never another Irene as her uniqueness is hers), and that Humans of Change are those who engage in relationship over self and show up to the coffee shop to engage in a meaningful way with each other despite what the day brings.
That coffee was the moment that allowed me to pull everything in re-center moving forward in my life being as eloquently brave as I could.

A storm started to brew outside, and in Bangkok this time of the year it means Monsoon rains! As we hurried to get out the door Irene wrote me one more post-it and took the extra few seconds to decorate it. "Make Choices that Liberate You" it read.

and so, I began to practice that daily ever since.




1 comment:

  1. What an incredible post, Katy! You have such a way with words -- on paper, but also in person. I look back on my conversations with you with the same admiration. You are my "Katy" and you inspire me and push me with your questions, your views, your perspectives, your bravery to pave an uncharted path in this world. I have sad days too, full of self-doubt and self-pity, and so often I think about you and our conversations, and what a powerful voice that is in my mind. So, keep going girl! And I agree with the ever-so-wise, Irene, continue to "make choices that liberate you". I will be doing the same xoxo

    ReplyDelete